Sunday, March 2, 2014

Boswell Book Company - Milwaukee, WI

Boswell Book Company - Milwaukee, WI

This was the first on the tour.  You know how you always remember that first girl friend (or boy friend, or whatever?)?  This was the first indie visited from the book, My Bookstore.  I wasn't sure where or how to start my tour so I gave my mom the book and told her to look through it and pick out some bookstores she might like to visit.  Naturally, I was hopeful that she might think outside the box.  Seattle, Portland, Denver, California, Florida.  Not to be.  It was going to be a driving tour of a few here in the midwest beginning with Boswell's and then moving on to Anderson's in Naperville and The Book Stall in Winnetka.  But more about those in future posts.

Boswell's was a great place for our first visit.  5 stars all the way.  The owner Daniel Goldin was knowledgeable and welcoming in every way.  As part of my indie tour I'm having every owner (or highest ranking official present at my visit!) sign my copy of My Bookstore on their respective page.  Daniel signed that he was happy to be the first in my book and referred to my project as bookstore bingo!  Very nice!  All of these indie owners always have book recommendations that I'm always curious to hear about and Daniel was no different.  One of his recommendations was Beautiful Ruins, by Jess Walter.  Haven't read it yet but I know it does get many great reviews.  And since part of the reason of my indie bookstore tour is to support them I buy a book.  Or two.  Maybe three.  And my pile of unread books has actually morphed into more than one pile.

Boswell's is located near the UW-Milwaukee campus.  Always a plus to be located near a college campus.  The main floor is spacious and the inventory is expansive.  There is also a very nice Starbucks attached so you can hang out there to sip a latte, use the wi-fi, and read something that you just bought from Boswell's!  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir!

CURRENTLY READING:  The Naked and The Dead, Norman Mailer.  WWII historical fiction.  It's long!

BOOK OF NOTE: The Lottery, Patricia Wood.  Outstanding, 5 stars!  If I could force this one into your grubbly little paws I would!

No comments:

Post a Comment