Monday, March 10, 2014

The Book Stall at Chestnut Court - Winnetka, IL

I've mentioned that every independent bookstore I've toured so far has been extremely welcoming and very enthusiastic about my endeavor of touring every indie featured in the book, My Bookstore.  Roberta Rubin shook the welcome tree and took the enthusiasm meter to new heights!   This was our second indie visited this past summer and the welcome was out of this world.  Roberta treated my mom and me like rock stars!  Roberta wanted to hear all about my project, she took our picture for their newsletter (which is a must for those readers in the Chicagoland area; great newsletter!), and even gave me a free book, The End of Your Life Book Club, by Will Schwalbe (as a side note, this book was a great recommendation.  It also lists MANY more highly recommended books that you can consider purchasing on your next visit to an indie bookstore).  When we visited, The Book Stall was in the process of changing hands as Roberta was stepping down and Stephanie Hochschild was taking over Roberta's position.  It was obvious when visiting that not only is Roberta knowledgeable but a very beloved member of the community.  Congrats Roberta!

What a great indie bookstore though.  Spacious, great inventory, attached to a Caribou Coffeeshop and a very community feel to this indie located in a neat part of Winnetka.  You can tell by the newsletter and the local patrons that there is a high involvement for this store in the community and is the host of many events.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir!

CURRENTLY READING: Turtle Diary, Russell Hoban.  Just started, looks promising.

JUST FINISHED:  The Naked and The Dead, Norman Mailer.  WWII fiction.  Meh.  Gets some great review as a WWII classic so there are many who like it, just not me.  2 stars.

ALSO JUST FINISHED:  The Racketeer, John Grisham.  The high-brow bibliophiles might frown about Grisham but hey, I like him.  And I needed something to cleanse my palate after the Norman Mailer.  Typical Grisham.  The dude can spin a story.  4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment