Sunday, August 15, 2021

Ruby's Books - Folsom, CA

Ruby's Books, Folsom, CA



(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

A blur of motion.  Especially the tail. 

If you're cold-hearted and your heart doesn't melt when you walk into Ruby's there's no hope for you.  At Ruby's Books, you are automatically greeted by the store namesake, Ruby. I've met a LOT of bookstore dogs on my journey and I don't think I could name the best, but Ruby is definitely one of them.  Without prompting, she went to the open front door for EVERYONE while I was there.  I defy anyone who is not a dog-lover to sidestep the unconditional love from this tender-hearted dog.  You'll feel a welcoming warmth entering this store thanks to Ruby.  It was so fun to watch her greet all and always do so with her tail swishing away.  Stacy, the owner of dog and store, told me that Ruby is very perceptive about matching the energy of the customers.  Whether its running children or shy and hesitant customers, she meets them at their wavelength.  Just as she greets people with a happy wagging tail, when I left and petted her good-bye the tail wasn't wagging.  We were both sad that I was leaving!

Oh yeah, the bookstore.  This is another successful "pandemic baby" that kicked things off about 10 months ago.  Located in downtown historic Folsom on Sutter St., an excellent location.  Every weekend through the epidemic the street was blocked off turning it into a pedestrian mall for all the businesses.  This is a great idea and it sounds like it might continue.  Way to go, Folsom.  

Ruby's Books offers all new books (dog books located right up front!) and many locally crafted sidelines.  All of the center bookshelves you see in the pictures are on wheels which will clear a nice space for store events when they are able to resume.  I think the interior is beautiful and it adds to the store's charm that starts with Ruby.  They'll be starting a store book club soon and if you're in Folsom you should definitely plan to check it out.  

Stacy was wonderful to meet and kindly spent a lot of time telling me about the store.  I think she's doing a great job and I'm not surprised since she's a former middle school math teacher.  As nice as Stacy is, Ruby is clearly the star of the show here.  Honestly, a dog this nice and her owner are the perfect pairing for an independent bookstore.  I can guarantee that whether you buy a book or not, you're going to feel better at the end of your visit after Ruby greets you.  Go to an indie and pet a dog.  I mean, go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

JUST FINISHED:  The Free, Willy Vlautin.  The story of three characters who are struggling to overcome some of life's challenges.  An Iraq war veteran with severe PTSD.  A single father of two daughters who doesn't have custody trying to hold down two jobs and trying to survive with little money.  And a single woman working as a nurse at the local hospital who enjoys her interactions with her patients but away from the hospital and at home her best date is with her pet rabbit Donna.  See how these three characters lives intertwine.  I really liked this book.  Recommended.   

CURRENTLY READING:  Intimacies, Katie Kitamura. 

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  When I Was You, Amber Garza.  A Time For Mercy, John Grisham.  This Is Your Mind On Plants, Michael Pollan.  A Ruby's Books t-shirt.       

 

Partial view of the store front. 

I think I'll opt out of the real life and traffic. 

View looking into the store from the front entrance.  Ruby was on her way to greet me before I could even snap the picture. 


Attractive and relevant table display in the front of the store. 

Head over to the right side of the store and start browsing, you've got a lot to do.  Notice the dog books on the closest shelf.  Nice job Ruby. 

Just a few of the greeting cards available located to the left after entering. 

I am such a sucker for these pictures.  I'm sparing you from the many others that I have of Ruby!  She's watching for customers. 

A variety of sidelines near the checkout counter including Ruby t-shirts. 

The store and table displays are all neatly arranged and presented. 

Locally hand-crafted bookmarks. 

"I love greeting customers."  -Ruby, store ambassador. 

This is where you'll check out with your book and a few impulse buys. 

Check out Ruby's reading challenge for 2021.  And if she's there on her bed, say hello!

The view of the wall on the left side of the store.  Great genre headings. 

Notice that these portable bookshelves are on wheels.  Many bookstores do this which allows flexibility to move them around and create event space. 

Ok, just work with me here.  I like the light. 

View looking into the children's room. 

Overview of the children's room.  I love the mural on the back wall.  Beautiful. 

Just outside the children's room you'll find the books for older children. 

Overview of the store looking from the back toward the front entrance. 

Buy local, shop local, Folsom. 


With Stacy, the fine owner at Ruby's Books.  Thanks for a great visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment