Monday, August 19, 2019

Whitelam Books - Reading, MA

Whitelam Books, Reading, MA
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

Rarely when I visit a bookstore have I previously met the owner.  This continues to be true after my visit to Whitelam Books in Reading (pronounced REDing, not REEDing).  Yet, with this visit I really felt like I had already met owner Liz W.  I knew that she had occasionally followed the blog and I'm always interested if any of the blog followers are from bookstores I haven' t visited.  Thanks to this, Liz knew me before I visited and the excitement was mutual.  It all added up to a great bookstore visit.  

I can't begin to tell you how many bookstores have opened since I began this journey.  This is another of the new wave of indies, less than two years old, opened by an owner with a passion for bookstores from a different background.  Liz's background is in marketing, something that I can tell is already serving her well.  The one-level store has a very fresh feel with attractive lighting fixtures and a nice cozy living room feel around the fireplace.  Whitelam offers all new books and a variety of sidelines.  The greeting cards and quirky socks are especially good sellers.  I thought the children's section was strong with a wide selection of books and an increasing number of games and toys.  With the store's free gift wrapping this place makes a great birthday stop.  I also enjoyed hearing about the strong partnership being forged with the schools.  As an example, Liz was able to offer a pop-up store in the high school library and every English teacher made it a point to bring classes in every period.  I wish every bookstore enjoyed this community support.  The store is able to accommodate up to 50 people for events on-site and has an agreement to provide books for larger events at the library.

Whitelam is located in the center of Reading on Main St., a very visible location and conveniently located next to a bakery and cafe.  It would've been easy to simply name this store, Main St. Books but Liz is creative like all owners and had other ideas.  The logo for Whitelam Books is a white lamb and the bookstore is Liz's last name, Whitelam.  Nice.  

I had a wonderful time meeting Liz and Jane, one of the booksellers.  Again, people like these two are the reasons I don't go to the internet.  If you're in Reading and haven't been to Whitelam yet, check it out.  As Liz told me, once you visit you'll come back again.  I guess that means I'll be returning?!  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.


CURRENTLY READING:  Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman.  

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  Blood & Ivy: The 1849 Murder That Scandalized Harvard, Paul Collins.  Not purchased but gifted, The President Is Missing T-shirt.  Thanks Liz.  



A beautiful storefront.  

A sparkling display window.  

The store has two great display windows.  

View looking into the store from the front entrance.  

Some classic reads on the summer reading display.  

Nice assortment of moleskin journals located near the front of the store.  

View looking to the fiction section on the right hand side of the store.  

Table display of current and recent releases.  

Just a few of the greeting cards available.  

You'll see many of these unique literary-themed soy candles in independent bookstores.  I wonder what the Oxford Library smells like?!


Local students can get their required readings here.  

Socks are always good-sellers.  

This is an excellent artistic mural of the Whitelam logo, right behind the check-out counter.  

I love this setting and think it will be especially cozy in about December.  

The store has a nice variety of greeting cards.  

Magnets to fit every personality and interest.  

Find out what the book clubs are reading.  


Partial view of the children's section.  

Perfect place for a little story time.  

Get some art supplies to go with your books.  

I love these books for babies that are chew proof, rip proof, and yes, drool proof.  

Overview of the store looking from the back toward the front entrance.  


A nice, long wall of books.  



A worthwhile cause for the community offered at this bookstore.   

Check out some of the superb local artwork throughout the store.


Kids will love seeing the variety of games.  

Always!  Heck, even if the recipient isn't a reader they'll be able to find something here.  

A  newbie bookstore and already an award-winner.  Way to go, Whitelam!

With Jane on the left and Liz on the right, two of the fine folks you'll meet at Whitelam Books.  Thanks for a great visit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment