Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Writer's Block Bookstore - Winter Park, FL

Writer's Block Bookstore, Winter Park, FL
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

Most everyone around the country has had one tough winter.  But now, we're on the cusp of summer vacation season and I know you need destination ideas.  I also know that many of you will travel to the magical Disney properties in Orlando.  For those of you who invite me to go along on your Disney vacation, I've got some good news.  You won't need to cover my entrance fee, food expenses, and souvenir costs (ok seriously, NOBODY I know would do this so just work with me here).  All you have to do is drop me off at Writer's Block in Winter Park and I'll be set for the day.  And take your time at Disney, I'll be in no hurry.

This isn't my first visit to a Writer's Block.  I visited a store with the same name, The Writer's Block Bookstore & Cafe, in Anchorage, AK  They certainly share some of the same characteristics including a great bookstore space and wonderful people.  This Writer's Block is a one-level store offering all new books in multiple rooms.  The store has a super assortment of sidelines including greeting cards, journals, pens and pencils, tote bags, t-shirts, and multiple items that I refer to as oddities that can only be found in independent bookstores.  LeAnne, store manager of business development, told me the socks sell so well that the store could practically sell them exclusively.  The socks, along with all the other sidelines sell especially well during the holidays.  

The store has been around for 5 years and LeAnne told me that things are going very well.  Like other indies I've visited, she can tell they're trending upward, a very encouraging sign.  They have a great location just off the Park Ave retail district, a popular shopping area.  The store enjoys visits from lots of tourists but also has a solid group of regulars since this is the only indie in the near vicinity.  Writer's Block has a very active events schedule with options of hosting large events at off-site venues.  They have one event series that includes wine from a local winery, always a great pairing.  and thanks to LeAnne's contacts with local schools, the store has a strong partnership with many of them.  I wish more schools would understand the value of partnering with their local independent bookstore.  

So forget the corndogs, forget the mouse ears, forget the water rides.  This is the destination I'll enjoy when I visit this vacation area.  Make sure you check it out the next time you're here.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

JUST FINISHED:  Sightings, B. J. Hollars.  A collection of short stories including my favorite about a Bigfoot who wanders into town, starts going to high school, and turns the basketball team into a winner.  Then he has an invitation to go to prom at the end of the school year and one of his teammates tries to get him through it.  I thoroughly enjoyed this humorous collection of short stories.  Recommended.  

CURRENTLY READING:  Mississippi Blood, Greg Iles.  

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  Indignation, Philip Roth.  Two Trump hand soaps, and a Writer's Block t-shirt.    


One of the store front windows with an attractive display.  

The store has two very nice display windows.  

Once you buy your book, have a seat outside and enjoy the weather with your new read.  

Yes!

Another exterior view.  

I strongly encourage this sentiment.  

View looking into the store from the front entrance.  Fanatical readers may recognize the celebrity trying to decide which room to visit first.  Yes, that's my mom.  

Neatly organized table display just to the right after entering.  

Wall display of recent releases.  

The store offers a large assortment of practical and unique sidelines  

Can you see this chair?  I call this the invisible chair.  

Socks are big sellers here and in almost all other indies.  These can be found just inside the front entrance.   

Follow this hallway through the store to other book rooms.  

Unique cable chargers for your device.  This is so indie!

One of the book rooms with a nice place to sit.  

Find this book rack for some bargains.  

Sidelines galore!  Or maybe I should call them doodads?

AHH!!  Something to put your doodads in!

Through this door to the children's section.  

Partial view of the children's room.  

Another view of the children's room with a little table for little readers.  

These signs would make great gifts.  

One of the comfortable book rooms.  

Did I mention that this store has great sidelines?
You can stock up on soap!

With LeAnne (holding one of her staff picks), one of the fine booksellers at Writer's Block.  Thanks for a great visit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment