Monday, January 22, 2018

Nightbird Books - Fayetteville, AR

Nightbird Books, Fayetteville, AR
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

The experience I enjoyed at Nightbird Books will probably go down as one of the highlights of my entire journey.  If I were shopping for books on Amazon, this never would've happened.  I've had lots of wonderful experiences in stores with other people I bump into and that's what happened here.  The store was hosting a knitting club of women who were meeting in the fiction room.  One of them spoke right up when she saw me looking around.

Everyone should get to meet Brenda Hancock and have a conversation with her.  Thanks Brenda.
"What are you looking for?"  I shrugged, not sure.  She wasn't shy at all with her response.  
"Well, I don't work here but I'll tell you where to start.  Go over there to biography and get one of my books, I have two.  One of them is about my mother."  What the?!  She proceeded to tell me about her mother who was a member of the French Underground during WWII.  Eventually she moved to America and the lady I met was her daughter who wrote her story entitled, One Of The Lucky Ones.  And if that doesn't get your attention maybe this will.  I'm sure all of you know Robert Clary, right?  Sure you do.  You just know him as Louie LeBeau from Hogan's Heroes.  He was the brother of the woman in the French Underground and the uncle of the woman I met.  So this woman I met, Brenda Hancock, is the author of two books and if I hadn't visited Nightbird Books I never would've had this opportunity.  Thank you Nightbird and all independent bookstores.

Nightbird has been in business for almost 12 years and is located on Dickson St., a very busy thoroughfare in Fayetteville.  It is surrounded by many other independent businesses making it a great location.  The one-level store offers all new books, a small cafe service, and very few sidelines.  As Lisa S., the owner told me, things are going reasonably well with just the books.  This along with the 12 years in business, is a great sign.  They enjoy lots of local regular customers and offer a frequent buyer incentive, something I wish all indies would do.  They get some of their best business from events held in the store and also at the library where they're able to provide books for purchase.  The store has a nice space that offers a good place for book clubs, writers clubs, and of course, knitting clubs.  

Readers, I'm telling you these bookstore people are the best.  Lisa, along with two of the booksellers Jenny and Joel, are terrific.  These people along with customers like the 5 ladies in the knitting club, make my visits unforgettable.  

So don't hesitate to take a visit to this independent bookstore.  And if you see a group of knitters there, run, don't walk, and strike up a conversation you will never forget.  Only at an indepdenet bookstore.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

CURRENTLY READING:  Black Elk Speaks, John G. Neihardt.  

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  One Of The Lucky Ones, Brenda Hancock.  Talent Luck Courage, Brenda Hancock.


I saw this sign on Dickson St. and knew I was on the right track.  The store sits back from the street a little bit.  

View looking into the store from the front entrance.  

Check out the best seller display near the front of the room.  

A partial view of the children's section to the left of the front entrance.   

Two great places to sit in the children's area.  Astute readers may recognize the celebrity spotted here.  Yes, that's my mom.  

This was a perfectly delightful group of ladies enjoying their knitting club in a room full of fiction.  I felt a little intimidated by this group at first because they looked serious about their work and I didn't want to interrupt their meeting while browsing books.  But that didn't last long.  I had a great time talking to this group and if you visit the store and they're here, stop in and say hello.    

Display of recent releases and recent popular books.  


Books recommended by Nightbird and local authors.  

This is a bird aviary.  


No books up these stairs.  Heating and air conditioning, maintenance workers only.  

An important book for fans of college football history and the Razorbacks.  

Grab a coffee, a table, and sample a book.  

View looking from the back of the store toward the front entrance.  

A great group of people to help you on your visit to Nightbird.  From L-R, Jenny, Joel, Lisa, and myself.  Thanks for a great visit.    

2 comments:

  1. Did you make it to Dickson Street Books? A close second to this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bad news is that I didn’t have time to make it to Dickson Street Books. The good news is that means I’ll be coming back to Fayetteville! Thanks Katherine!

    ReplyDelete