Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Main Point Books - Wayne, PA

Main Point Books, Wayne, PA
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

You just never know who you're going to bump into when you visit an independent bookstore.  Who do I happen to see in Main Point Books, but lo and behold it's Ron Rice and son Jake shopping for books!  Regular readers know that I've now visited all the indies featured in Ron Rice's, My Bookstore, and now I've had the good fortune to meet him.  Ok, it really wasn't an accidental meeting.  The thing about Ron is he knows bookstores and their owners so Main Point Books was one he recommended and then suggested we meet there.  Ron has never led me astray when it comes to bookstores and he hit the mark with this indie.

Main Point Books is a one-level indie located in the downtown area of Wayne, PA.  The store is fairly new, opening in 2013, but only in this space for the last year.  Cathy S.F., the owner, decided to move here to take advantage of better foot traffic.  It has proven to be a great move and as John, one of the booksellers told me, they had their best holiday season yet last year.  The store has a strong core of local customers but if you're coming from out of town like me there is plentiful metered parking (and it's cheap) right on the street.

I didn't get to meet Cathy on this visit but boy she had two super booksellers in charge.  John and Max were the best and told me everything I need to know about Main Point.  Successful indies have some common characteristics and you'll find those here.  Greeting cards and crazy socks are two of the popular sidelines you'll find.  They have frequent author events held in the store and a children's weekly story time.  John told me that the children's department and fiction are particularly strong for the store.  I thought the space was very bright and cheery with its attractive wooden floors and everything was arranged and organized neatly and logically.  A tip of the hat to Cathy for her vision and work here.  

And if you visit here when John and Max are in and don't want to talk about books, you can talk about the Big Ten.  Man, I felt right at home!  How did Cathy know to hire guys that I could talk to about the Big Ten?  Ah, the magic of an independent bookstore experience.  Find out what the people in Wayne, PA already know.  A 5-star store where you'll have a 5-star experience.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

JUST FINISHED:  Small Mercies, Eddie Joyce.  As the quote on the cover says, "An intimate family portrait."  Story takes place in Staten Island, NY and is about a blue collar family who loses one of their three sons on 9/11.  The story relates the impact this has on the remaining members of the family, the victim's wife and children.  I thought this was a very good story and a good book.  Recommended.

CURRENTLY READING:  Freddy Goes To Florida, Walter R. Brooks.

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  Here I Am, Jonathan Safran Foer.  American Ulysses: A Life Of Ulysses S. Grant, Ronald C. White.  


One of the attractive display windows.  

View looking into the store from the front entrance.  Some readers may recognize Ron Rice.  He beat me to the store and was already shopping for books!

View looking to the left from the front entrance.  

View looking to the right from the front entrance.  

A few of the greeting cards available.  

A portion of the books of local interest and local authors.  

I love this wall mount behind the check-out counter.  

A couple of great places to sit and try a book.  

A portion of their wonderful children's section.  

I thought the hardwood floors in this store were beautiful.  

There is a bathroom.  I got a visual.  

View looking from the back of the store toward the front entrance.  


Many bookstores carry unique socks that I rarely see elsewhere.  

A portion of the staff picks display.  


With Ron Rice, on the left.  


Prudent readers may recognize the celebrity seated in front.  Yes, that's my mom.  In back L-R, John M., bookseller, yours truly, Ron Rice, Ron's son Jake, and Max M., bookseller.  

We did lots of group pictures at this store!  With Max on the left and John in the center.  Thanks for a great visit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment