Sunday, February 8, 2015

Arcadia Books - Spring Green, WI

Arcadia Books - Spring Green, WI


(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

Sometimes when I visit bookstores and do my blog write-up, I'll struggle to find the right adjectives to describe the store.  I always come up with something but occasionally I'll have to think on it.  Not with Arcadia, in Spring Green, WI.  This store is absolutely CUTE with a capital 'C!'  The store, the space, the café, everything.  A very cute little bookstore located in small town America.

With my recent travels, this is the second bookstore I've visited in Wisconsin and both of them are outstanding.  I'm always amazed when I visit a store like Arcadia by how it is able to succeed in a small town like Spring Green with a population of approximately 1600.  Like other indies in small towns, it's a combination of factors.  There's certainly local support within Spring Green and the surrounding communities.  But business here is big with tourists and the summer months.  The town is home to the American Players Theater, the 2nd largest company of its kind in the country.  Frank Lloyd Wright's, House On The Rock is also nearby and both of these attractions are great tourist draws in the summer months.

I didn't get to meet the owner, James B., on this visit, but with tourist attractions like the ones I've mentioned and a cultural arts vibe in the community, he must've had a vision that an independent bookstore would be a perfect fit.  He was right.  It's off to a great start and will turn 4 years old in May.  Relatively young, but a great sign in this small community to make it this far and to do it successfully.

In addition to books, there is a wonderful café where you can sip a morning coffee or have a light lunch, and use the free wifi.  There are some sidelines here which help the profit margin and that business may expand in the future.  The store is very active with author events and hosts them on-site in the café space.  For larger events, like David Axelrod coming on August 6, 2015, all they have to do is go to the theater directly across the street.

During my visit I had the good fortune of meeting Nancy and John, two of the fine booksellers here.  And even though this town is small, they have a good sized staff here, another sign of a successful business for a small community.  Nancy and John were both wonderful to talk to, telling me a lot about the store and of course, more bookstores I should visit.

The next time you're browsing a bookstore, see if you can find a dictionary of independent bookstores. When you find it, look up the word "cute."  The picture you see next to that word will be of Arcadia Books.  If I lived in Spring Green, Arcadia Books would never get rid of me!  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

JUST FINISHED:   A Room Of One's Own, Ruth Ozeki.  A diary written by a teenage girl in Japan washes up onshore in the Canadian Pacific Northwest.  The story alternates between the teenage girl and the woman who found her diary.  Outstanding.  I thoroughly enjoyed this.  Highly recommended.

JUST FINISHED:  The Boys In The Boat, Daniel James Brown.  Story of the 8 member crew team from the University of Washington, their lives, and their goal of making the 1936 Olympics, with the storm clouds of Nazi Germany in the background.  A true story that is absolutely fantastic.  You don't have to know a thing about rowing to enjoy this book.  Run, don't walk, to your nearest indie and pick this one up.

CURRENTLY READING:  Sycamore Row, John Grisham.  I love Grisham and love his stories.

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  Displacement A Traveloguue, Lucy Knisley.  The Stench Of Honolulu, Jack Handey.

From across the street and looking into the sun.  I have to time my arrivals better or go on a cloudy day.  

A great front window display.  

Arcadia is located on a corner, this is the other side.  

Entering the store and my view looking to the left.  

Looking into the café from the entrance.  

These are my kind of seats in a bookstore!

Front display of books.  

After you buy a book as a gift you'll need to get a card.  

Another great place to sit and try out a book.  

Here are the bestsellers at Arcadia for 2014.  I always like these displays.  

Looking toward the children's section.  Have a seat anywhere on this bench while your kids are looking at books.  

A portion of the children's section.  

With Nancy, one of the fine booksellers at Arcadia.  Thanks for a great visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment