Friday, May 1, 2015

Eagle Eye Book Shop - Decatur, GA

Eagle Eye Book Shop - Decatur, GA
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

I don't think I could've had a better welcome than the one I received when I entered the Eagle Eye Book Shop.  Don't get me wrong, every bookstore I visit always receives me warmly.  But who wouldn't enjoy a friendly brown dog, tail wagging, ambling my way the minute I walked in?  If every bookstore had a
This dog is irresistible.  I took more pictures of Gretel than anything else at this bookstore!
friendly dog like Gretel to welcome them, it would be fantastic.  And to all those indies who have cats, none of them have ever welcomed me or seeked me out like Gretel.  All this happened before I even got to the books or met the humans, the Robinson Family, Doug, Diane, and their son Charles, the super folks who own this wonderful indie.

This bookstore will be turning 12 years old about May 2 (which also happens to be Independent Bookstore Day.  Indie Bob commands you to visit an indie that day and buy a book).  The Atlanta area store has a great location in a strip mall near the intersection of DeKalb Rd. and Clairmont Rd.  This intersection has been a high traffic and commerce area for well over a century, dating back to the Civil War.  Emery University and the CDC are nearby which is advantageous for business here.  The store offers both new and used books, a good variety of sidelines, and also does a reasonably good business with online orders.  They host frequent author events, both in-store and off-site.  In Doug's words, they are a "full-service bookstore," and I certainly agree.  He also mentioned that they try to think of the store as a community center, something many other indies can identify with.  Book clubs who gather in a comfortable back room can probably feel that community center vibe.

Owners Doug and Diane, and their son Charles, as well as one of the booksellers, Phillip, were all fantastic to talk to.  They took a lot of their time to visit with me about the store and show me around.  I'm always so appreciative of the time that people take to visit with me about their bookstores.  Any customer who visits Eagle Eye Books will have a great bookstore experience and won't go wrong talking with any of these people.

But if all the humans at Eagle Eye Books are busy when you visit, don't worry.  You can hang out with Gretel.  What could be better than a friendly dog in a store full of books?  It sounds like an absolute dream, but I got to live it for a couple of hours.  You can too when you visit this great indie.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

JUST FINISHED:  Flora & Ulysses, Kate DiCamillo.  If you're not familiar with this author, check her stuff out.  This is a middle reader book, as are many of her others but that doesn't mean adults can't read them.  This is a great book for your younger middle reader.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Story of a 10 year old girl and and a squirrel who has super powers.  Lots of great characters.  I loved this book.

CURRENTLY READING:  Cartwheel, Jennifer Dubois.

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  Atlanta Is Ours: The Plot To Capture Sherman, Richard H. Sams.  Historical fiction.

You can start browsing books before you even go in the store.  

View from the front entrance looking to the back of the store.  Gretel is trying to lead me to the books like any good bookseller!

Some of the sidelines, looking toward the right from the entrance.  

Lots of Game Of Thrones stuff!

Doug shows me a great room in the back.  Book clubs can meet here.  

View from the rear of the store looking toward the front.  

A portion of the children's section.  

Need a t-shirt?  These are just a few of the ones available.  

This is where authors do their signings.  

Some aisles with various sidelines available.  

There is a great selection of greeting cards here and these are just a few of them.  

One of the long book aisles.  

Books from floor to ceiling means lots of inventory.  

Take advantage of the book buy-back program.  

UPS delivers a sizable shipment of books to add to the inventory, a great sign.  

The fine owners at the Eagle Eye Book Shop, L-R, Diane, Doug, & Charles.  Thanks for a great visit.  

1 comment:

  1. you will find all types of books on all your favourite topic
    and that is also available online visit us and discover wide variety of books at lower rates
    Book Store Online

    ReplyDelete