Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Book Nook - Peoria, IL

The Book Nook, Peoria, IL
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

I can't believe that it has taken me 359 bookstores to finally find this gem that had somehow slipped by me unnoticed.  How did I miss this place?  No matter.  Thankfully, I finally found it and I can happily report an outstanding used book store with a general manager and staffer who embody the usual characteristics of all bookstore people I meet including kindness, enthusiasm, and easily conversant.  As Cheryl L., the general manager told me, things are going great here and now I can see why.  

When you visit here you'll find a large one-level space that takes up three rooms.  The organization and neatness were outstanding and that can sometimes be very challenging in used book stores.  But there are a couple of admirable things here that I'm really impressed by.  Every used book they have is on a data base inventory, meaning they know exactly what's on the shelves.  And secondly, there are no sidelines here.  Not even so much as a postcard or greeting card.  Both of these attributes are rare indeed, but especially so here since things are going well just offering books.  Equally impressive is the fact that the owner, Nathan K., along with Cheryl have opened a second store in nearby Washington, IL.  As far as I could tell, everything about this store is healthy from head to toe!

In addition to the books, you can also find CDs, DVDs, and audio books.  I thought the Civil War section was especially good but honestly that could be said about most genres here.  If you can't make it to the store (shame on you!) they now offer the option of purchasing books online.  For customers who bring books in, the Book Nook offers store credit in return.  They also have a customer incentive program, something I wish all indies offered.

The business has been going for about 12 years and Cheryl has been here for 2 1/2.  She has the perfect personality for a bookstore person, something that will make your experience all the better.

Many travelers pass by here on I74, going east or west to other destinations.  Give yourself a break and pay this 5-star store a visit.  You'll find out what all the regulars already know.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

JUST FINISHED:  Didn't.  Crossing To Safety, Wallace Stegner.  Man, I feel I need to apologize to all the readers who like this author.  I've heard so much about him and have wanted to read something by him for a long time but this one just did not grab me despite the fact that almost EVERYONE else likes this book and this author.  But at some point, I'm still going to try Angle Of Repose by the same author.  

CURRENTLY READING: The Autobiography Of An Ex-Coloured Man, James Weldon Johnson.

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  The Bone Tree, Great Iles.  Freddy And The Perilous Adventure, Walter R. Brooks.  


There is no entrance to the store in the beautiful storefront pictured at the top of this article.  Pictured here is the rest of the bookstore and the entrance is in the corner, behind the tree.  

View looking into the store from the main entrance.  You are immediately in a book aisle and can begin your book shopping one step into the store.  Habitual readers will no doubt recognize the celebrity in the left background.  Yes, that's my mom.  Many also will recognize Indie Bob Spot staffer in the foreground, Michelle T.  

View looking to the left from the entrance.  You're in a sea of books.  

View looking to the right from the front entrance.  You'll find bargains throughout the store.  

You'll find lots of aisles that look like this.  

Sounds good to me.  

More great deals.  

Just a portion of the DVDs available.  

Lots of music CDs.  These are right by the check-out counter.  

Look for this display in the main room.  

We don't want to rush the season but it's ok if they're books!

You can take forever in aisles like these.  You'll find this one in the room to the right.  

Just a few of the items of local interest.  

I think Civil War buffs will enjoy that section here.  

Just a few of the audio books available.  

Display of store favorites.  

Look for this display in the room to the left.  

A partial view of the children's section.  

I encourage all indies to offer some kind of frequent buyer program.  Your regular customers deserve it.  

Looking for a Harlequin romance?  They'll have that series and MANY more.  

This is an overview of the room to the left in the store.  This room contains a few of the 125,000 books available.  

Students should check out this test prep section.  

I caught this very cool clock just before I left.  Notice how each of the books has a representation of the number it represents.  This is so indie!  

With Natalie on the left and Cheryl in the center, two of the fine folks you'll meet at The Book Nook.  Thanks for a great visit.  



No comments:

Post a Comment