Saturday, August 11, 2018

Garcia Street Books - Santa Fe, NM

Garcia Street Books, Santa Fe, NM
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

Even though I've now visited over 300 indies I continue to have new and exciting experiences.  When I began this journey, I didn't know about all the great episodes I would have and the wonderful people I would meet.  I knew I would meet congenial owners and booksellers but it didn't dawn on me all the kindred spirit bookstore customers I would meet.  Garcia Street Books is not only a terrific bookstore with a very nice bookseller, Liana, but it also attracts some wonderful customers.  People like Martha and Kyla, mild-mannered customers in their spare time and writers during other times (Oh dear God if they're reading this please let me have good grammatical structure for once.).  These women were an absolute delight to meet and talk to about bookstores and all things books.  THIS is one of the best things about my journey!

But I digress.  Garcia Street Books is a cozy, intimate one-level shop in the near downtown of Santa Fe.  The store offers all new books and a few sidelines.  The uniquely made hats by Maribeth, one of the booksellers, sell very well.  You'll also find locally created works of pottery as well as greeting cards and journals but it's mostly about the books.  They have a fine section of books of regional interest and I also thought their art book section was very good.  It's conveniently located beside other local businesses with a small, free parking lot and there is an excellent coffee shop right next door, a plus for both businesses.  

Garcia Street is on a great run and has been here for about 25 years.  They enjoy lots of regular customers and lots of tourists, a good recipe for a successful run.  Jean D., is the current owner and has only been here for about a year.  I'm glad to report, as Liana told me, things are going great.  It's obvious to me that Santa Fe is a great book and bookstore town with a very supportive community.

Liana was as nice and welcoming as anyone I've met.  It's people like her and customers like Martha and Kyla who become part of my journey and make it so memorable.  That's why I ALWAYS encourage you to visit your local indie.  The books are great but the people are the best.  Put Garcia Street Books on your list for a wonderful bookstore experience.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.  

JUST FINISHED:  My Absolute Darling, Gabriel Tallent.  Dark and depressing.  The subject matter included incest which made it difficult along with the author's superfluous sentences describing the flora, fauna, and landscape of northern California.  This novel didn't flow for me.   

CURRENTLY READING:  Wolf Hollow, Lauren Wolk.  

RECENTLY PURCHASED:  El Hermano, Carmen Baca.  Mrs. Mo's Monster, Paul Beavis.  The Outlandish Companion, Diana Gabaldon.    


When you see this sidewalk sign, enter the store!

A nice display of bargains to browse before you enter.  



Great customer service...
... that is offered at many independent bookstores.  

View looking into the store from the front entrance.  There are actually two entrances, I entered through the one on the left.  


A wonderful overview of the store scanning toward the right from the front entrance.  

Bookbags and greeting cards.  

A long wall of books with a few greeting cards sprinkled in.  

The Santa Fe Opera is nationally renowned, local fans will find this display of interest.  

Some of the locally created pottery available.  

Get a "one-of-a-kind" hat created by Maribeth, one of the booksellers.  

A portion of the books on travel.  

A few of the books of local and regional interest.  

A very attractive table display of recent releases.  Habitual readers may recognize the celebrity in the background enjoying a seat for browsing.  Yes, that's my mom.  

If any bookstore has a display that says, "Great Buys," check it out.  

Or if it says 40% off, check it out.  

A portion of the children's section.  

A very comfortable little seat for a little reader.  


Two great places to sit and enjoy sampling a book.  

It takes more than one table display to hold all the new release fiction.  

A great activity for car travel.  

Another long wall of books.  

A variety of journals available.  

If you're a Louise Penny fan, they've got you covered.  

A broad overview of the store looking from the back toward the front.  

With Liana, one of the fine booksellers you'll meet at Garcia Street Books.  Thanks for a great visit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment