Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Wind City Books - Casper, WY

Wind City Books, Casper, WY
(Like The Indie Bob Spot on Facebook and follow The Indie Bob Spot on Twitter)

As an Indie Bob Spot public service announcement, let me issue this statement to all bookstore visits in my future.  When I visit stores, I'm happily snapping pictures throughout the aisles and bookshelves the minute I walk in.  And I assure you and hereby promise that I will NOT take a picture and sprint out of the store to order a book online.  End of statement.  Poor Heather, one of the fine booksellers at Wind City Books, was very worried that I was one of THOSE people.  Once we met and I explained my mission, she breathed a sigh of relief and we both talked some trash about THOSE people who visit bookstores only to find something and then order online.

Wind City Books is on the brink of celebrating its 10 year anniversary and Heather and Amy, the two booksellers I met, told me things are going fairly well.  Ten years in business for an independent bookstore is a great accomplishment deserving of a celebration.  The one-level store has a great downtown location that's very user-friendly for foot traffic.  This works well for a strong core of regular customers as well as tourists.  People on the way to or returning from the Sturgis Festival are some of those tourists who visit here.  Wind City offers all new books and a few sidelines, but these are minimal.  Amy told me that the YA and children's sections are two of the genres that are selling well.  I think the store also has a strong inventory of western themes, Wyoming interests, and regional authors (with national appeal) like Craig Johnson and C. J. Box, a Casper native.  

I especially like the caricature portraits of authors along the right wall.  These are sketched by a talented local artist and I don't think I've seen anything like these in any other indie.  When you visit the store, don't miss out taking some time to look at these.

I didn't get to meet Vicki B., the co-owner, during my visit, but I had a great time meeting Heather and Amy and talking to them.  Amy told me something that I haven't heard yet at other indies but I'm hoping it's true everywhere.  She told me that Wind City has a strong group of customers in the 16-35 age range who value buying books.  They enjoy it so much that they even take "shelfies," pictures at their bookshelves.  What fantastic news for Wind City and hopefully for other bookstores.

Since Wind City has its 10 year anniversary approaching, I think you should help them celebrate and support their presence.  Don't buy them a present, go in and buy yourself a book.  You'll have a great time.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir.

CURRENTLY READING:  Peace Like A River, Leif Enger.  

RECENLTY PURCHASED:  The Secret Diary Of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old, Hendrik Groen.



A great front window display with lots of reflection on a beautiful day.  

Sounds good to me.  

This poster is applicable to every single bookstore I visit.  Support your local bookstore and local businesses.  

View looking into the store from the front entrance.  

C. J. Box is from here and is prominently featured.  


A nice display of staff picks.  

A variety of magazines available near the front entrance.  

A relevant magazine for some folks in Wyoming or even for some of my close friends.  

Display of books by local authors.  


Two great chairs to sit down and try out a book.  


Don't mind if I do!

Lots of great author caricatures on the right wall.  Check out this great work by a talented artist.  

Here's the Stephen King caricature.  

A long wall of bookshelves.  

A few of the greeting cards available.  

A portion of the children's section.  

Indie Bound recommendations.  

Unique socks available here.  


The store offers a small variety of sidelines.  

This is the back of the cafe area.  

View looking from the back of the bookstore toward the front entrance.  

The Lord Of The Rings, bound editions.  If you're a fan, get to this store.  


Some good offerings from Europa Publications.  


With Amy on the left and Heather on the right, two of the fine booksellers you'll meet at Wind City Books.  Thanks for a great visit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment