Wednesday, April 2, 2014

St. Mark's Bookshop - New York, NY

This past fall I made my way to NYC and visited some of the independent bookstores featured in My Bookstore, edited by Ron Rice, and the guidepost for my project of visiting all the indies within.  St. Mark's Bookshop was another one of those I visited.

The inside of this bookshop is uniquely arranged.  In fact, I don't think I can even describe it in words other than unique.  Not a very big store, but still inviting and it was great to be there.  Also no cafe so you won't be able to sip a latte.  There were many books featured that were specific to NYC as well as to this very community and neighborhood.  In this regard, it seems to play well to its customers and their interests.  Also, many books here that you definitely would NOT see in a large chain bookstore.  If I could give this bookstore one more additional adjective it would be hip.  Very hip.  But that kind of goes along with this whole neighborhood.

I met Robert Contant briefly while there and he signed my book.  He was at the front register and was great to talk to but I think he was a little distracted at the time we visited.  I think he was trying to read!  He recommended a few books but the one that really grabbed my eye was written by Arthur Nersesian.  Nersesian was the author who penned the essay about St. Mark's for My Bookstore.  The title of the book is, ahem, well excuse me, ok parents edit this title as you read this blog post out loud at junior's bedtime, The Fuck-Up.  What a title!  So I couldn't pass it up and Robert told me that this might compare to something written by Charles Bukowski.  I've read Bukowski and liked it well enough so I'm looking forward to reading The Fuck-Up, while hiding it in a plain brown paper bag!

Ron Rice mentioned to me recently that St. Mark's is undergoing some challenges.  I don't know what they are specifically but can only imagine that they are similar to the problems that all indie owners face.  Go to their website and you can probably help.  Maybe the best thing you can do if you can't buy a book.  Go to an indie and buy a book.  Bonsoir!

 CURRENTLY READING:  A Land Remembered, Patrick Smith.  Mark Twain-ish but set in Florida.  Historical fiction.  Almost done.

RECENTLY PURCHASED: Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein.  Looked like a good story set in France 1943.  Impulse buy of course.  Who knows when I'll get to it.

 https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/st-mark-s-bookshop-on-the-move



Click on the above link to help save an indie.  Or copy and paste since I can't get this dumb thing in here right.




No comments:

Post a Comment